When cooking with marijuana, cannabis infused butter is one of the most common ways to create cannabis infused food and you don’t need to have a PHD in cannabis cooking to do it. It’s important to know that when cooking cannabis flower it has to be heated at a very specific temperature to ensure the psychoactive compounds make its way out of the plant and into the food. Butter is commonly used in almost every recipe and is a great carrier for THC, the same can be said for other great carriers such as coconut oil, olive oil and any other fatty oils. But before we get to infusing the butter with the cannabis and how to cook with weed there is an all important step that needs to happen before going any further.
Decarboxylating weed before making edibles is arguably the most important step in the entire process of cooking with weed. Decarboxylate is the process of heating raw marijuana to turn THC-A into THC, this is the same process that cannabis goes though when we smoke or vaporize it, heat converts THC-a into THC to provide the psychoactive effects.
When decarbing your cannabis you’ll want to follow these important steps:
Cooking the cannabis
- Preheat your oven to 245 Fahrenheit
- Cover oven tray with parchment paper to avoid sticking
- Place cannabis on parchment paper and insert in the oven
- Heat cannabis for 30-40 minutes
- Every 10 minutes move the cannabis around in the oven
Adding cannabis to the butter
- Remove cannabis from oven
- Grind the cooked cannabis finely with a grinder
- Take your butter and melt it into a pot, for every cup of butter add one cup of water
- When the butter begins to melt add your ground up cannabis
- Maintain a low heat of around 160 -180 Fahrenheit
- Let simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. Never allow mixture to boil
- Once you’ve simmered the cannabis and butter long enough it’s time to strain
- Use a cheese cloth to pour the melted cannabutter through
- After pouring into a jar or basin, refrigerate the cannabutter for an hour
After you have let your batch of cannabutter sit in the fridge you can now use it in a wide variety of recipes, we’ve put together three awesome recipes for different meals of the day. Each can be easily made with your cannabutter and a great way to learn how to cook with marijuana.
Canna-Pancakes – Breakfast
Who doesn’t like to start their day with a batch of delicious fluffy pancakes, now imagine those pancakes with the feeling of euphoria and deep relaxation. This perfect wake and bake recipe will have your tummy satisfied and most likely going back for seconds and thirds!
- 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of white sugar
- 1 ¼ cups of milk
- 3 tablespoons of cannabutter
- 1 egg
- Stir in flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Pour in melted butter, egg, and milk. Whip with up a spatula until the mixture is smooth
- Heat up your frying pan over medium heat, then pour our pancake mix on the pan. You’ll know it’s time to flip when they begin to bubble on the surface.
- Add some syrup and let your body fall into a euphoric state for the rest of the day
Is here is anything better then a warm tasty grilled cheese for lunch to power you through to dinner? Yes there is, canna infused grilled cheese! This recipe is super straight forward and can be made in 15 minutes, it will leave you feeling satisfied and hungry for dinner! A classic favorite when cooking with marijuana.
- 2 slices bread
- 1 slice cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp cannabis butter
- 2 tsp butter
- Butter the outside of your bread with normal butter
- Spread the cannabutter on the inside of the bread
- Place cheese on the cannabutter side, putting two slices of bread together with the cannabutter in the middle
- On medium heat grill the sandwich until the cheese has melted and the bread has become lightly brown
Canna-Mac and Cheese
Who doesn’t like a big bowl of mac and cheese? From adults to children, it;s hard to hate on this timeless classic. Adding cannabis can make it that much better!
- 1-2 tspns cannabutter
- 1 Box Macaroni & Cheese
- Boil water to boil in a medium sauce pan
- Add macaroni
- Boil for 7-8 minutes
- Drain the noodles and return macaroni to saucepan
- Add cannabutter, milk and cheese and mix